Thursday, September 10, 2009

Plateaus

I decided this morning, based purely on receiving an email from a former professor who has a blog (and has been quite a frequent poster), and the mere fact that I haven't written a post in nearly two weeks, that I have plateaued.

Webster's (the dictionary, not the little guy on 80's TV) defines a plateau thusly:

pla-teau
Pronunciation: \pla-'to, 'pla-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural plateaus or pla-teaux \-'toz
Etymology: French, from Middle French, platter (hmmmm...) from plat flat
Date: 1796 (people have been exhibiting this behavior for a while now, huh?)

1 a: a usually extensive land area having a relatively level surface raised sharply above adjacent land on at least one side: TABLELAND b: a similar undersea feature
2 a: a region of little or no change in a graphic representation b: a relatively stable level, period, or condition (this sounds like me)
3 a: a level of attainment or achievement (okay, are you as confused as me yet?)

Maybe I need to Google the word. Clearly, this plateau thing applies quite well to weight loss, whether you have a reached a goal you want to climb the mountain tops to share, or if you have simply hit a spot in your progress that is stagnant.

Listen, I knew when I got back on this road, that there would be periods where there would be no movement on the scale (up or down).

I see my pattern here. And currently, I am listening to the fabulous Beatles tell me: "Because the world is round..." I am suddenly believing this has something to do with my plateau. The intelligent me knows this can't be true, but there are people out there who think this rules their days, so I can't be that far off.

My new goal is to just get through this. I am doing everything right: keeping a food journal, which besides having fun with making a neat cover for it, has actually been fun and informative, sticking to my daily points, adding exercise to my routine (yeah, some days, that last one seems to be the thing that I put last). I know that I will. Starting today...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, maybe we should follow the Webster diet -- how much could the little guy eat?

    This is great, and I realized I missed a lot of posts when I was on vacation. Wonder why I didn't get notified (ah well) but I'm caught up now. I'm looking out over my vast tracts of land from a nice-sized plateau myself. Got to get back to writing things down.... just not quite ready to start. A week or two. Anyway, glad to read you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen Web (or should I be politically correct and say Emmanuel?) lately? He's pretty hefty for a small person.

    Thanks for the support - it is mucho appreciated! BTW, loving the videos of Moochie - hilarious! So amazed that she eats like an adult!

    ReplyDelete