Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In Sickness And Indulgence

I ended last week on a pretty good note, tracking-wise.  How I felt was another story.  I thought there was a cold coming on, given the ridiculous fluctuations in the weather.

Friday night I was tired, but still managed to stay up and watch "Fashion Police" - I need my Joan, Giuliana, Kelly, George fix each week but was down for the count immediately after it ended.

I knew that I ate well; I'd stayed within my points total and was able to indulge in a hamburger and sweet potato puffs (portion controlled).  I even managed to eat a great egg-white breakfast (I know, some of you wouldn't consider that great, but I love it).  As the day wore on, I began to feel the cold monster kicking in.  A nap in the late afternoon didn't ward it off and I began to crave naughty food.  Still, I held my resolve and cooked dinner for us that night.  Simple grilled chicken and pasta.  No biggie and even with a few extra snacky things during the day, I kept to my points total.

Come Sunday morning, as we settled in to watch our fave news programs, I felt the monster creep up on me.  I was freezing even snuggling under the covers.  I got the cat to come over and lay on me for extra warmth.  That didn't really do the trick - even at 10 lbs., he can't act as a warming blanket and of course, he comes and goes as he pleases.  Now I knew I was in for it.  When I was little, the things that made me happiest when sick were lots of love from mom and lots of bad food items.  That has not changed 40 years later.

When I changed my spaces two months ago to have only good food items in the house, I hid a number of bad cereals.  I'm sure General Mills wouldn't think their cereals are considered bad, but given that my mother didn't really like us to have sugary snacks, I do.  Wouldn't you know that I found those sneaky Sugar Puffs?  "Ribbit, Ribbit" the little froggy guy on the package beckoned.  Who am I to refuse his offer?  I found some raisins in the refrigerator and in an effort to not go too overboard, I measured them to exactly 1/4 cup.  As for the cereal, I just poured and the smell of the sugar gave me an instant high.  I was so excited.  As I was eating, I thought that I was going to hate myself afterwards, but I just didn't care at that moment.  I also didn't care later that evening when I was really starting to feel the cold overwhelm me and I did not want to cook.  Out came the menus and our local Chinese delivery service was called.  We stuck to Beef and Broccoli and brown rice, but I can tell you that I didn't portion it out correctly.  It was soooo good.

As I woke up Monday and realized that it was bone chillingly cold out, I prepared myself to get to work.  I showered, but when I needed to sort of hold onto the wall, I was getting to the point of thinking, I need to be in my pajamas and under the cover.  Hubs left for work, and I wrote an email to my job, letting them know I wouldn't be in.  Of course, after I slept another two hours, I was starving.  I wished at that moment that the Sugar Puffs were gone, but alas they were not and neither was my craving.  I had to indulge again.  I finished the B&B for a late lunch and then had an epiphany.  This could not continue.  I've been feeling too good being on my WW plan.  I decided to do a 180 and cook.  Thankfully, there was still healthy food in the house.  

What have I learned?  It's okay to be sick and fail a little at your plan.  I can't really kick myself because I haven't deviated from it since I decided to get back on track.  Being at work yesterday and today has helped because it is where my routines are easiest to follow.  What challenges do you have when you're trying to lose weight?  Hit the comments and let me know. 

1 comment:

  1. Wellllllll......I work hard at portion control. I can't seem to motivate myself to be ardent about counting calories, but I do seem to be eating smaller portions. It's important to me to lose about 40 pounds, so I keep at it, no matter the backsliding......Love your blog. FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete