Monday, April 1, 2013

As Jermaine Jackson Might Say

Why do we do what we doThis was the theme of our WW meeting today.  I don't know why, but it instantly made me think of the mild hit Jermaine Jackson had with "Why Don't You Do What You Do When You Did What You Did To Me?"  Long title he had there.  

Why do we?  I honestly have no idea, but from what I could gather from the meeting (I arrived late because one elevator was out in the building), we automatically make bad choices.  Of course, this cannot be true of every living being because the world would be filled with obese, dumb people.  In any case, WW wants us to stop making bad choices, one of which is giving into hedonic hunger, or eating for pleasure.  I get the whole "eating to live" thing but not being ever able to eat for pleasure is a slight problem for me.  It kind of makes no perfect sense.  I think what they really want is for us to change our mentality when it comes to eating.  

I feel I have already done that and my environment is proof.  I have changed my spaces at home and at work.  What that means is that I've gotten rid of everything that could tempt me in the wrong way and only snack on things that are good for me.  I cannot say that I am 100% eating just to live.  I mean, even with spaces changed, there are some seriously good tasting things that are still good for you.  Both WW and Skinny Cow have come up with new recipes and flavors that help me, at least, stay on track.  Now, if only I could find a store in my area that sells the new Skinny Cow candies, I would be really happy.  

So, as for changing my mentality, I am glad WW has provided us with a self-checking device to see how we can not just do what we do and automatically make better choices.  There's a series of questions we can ask ourselves every day:   
  • Have I met my Good Health Guidelines for fruits and vegetables?  
  • Do I have an activity plan for the coming week?  
  • Do you wave off a craving if it is sitting right in front of you?  
  • Are you eating any of your Points Plus values each week?  
  • What happens when you have a slip-up?  
  • Do you check restaurant menus when you are going out to eat?          
I feel that I already do most of these things.  Do I always have fruits and vegetables on my menu for the day?  Of course; I was doing that before I joined WW again.  Do I have an activity plan.  Yes, I am committed to walking every day, even if I can only get ten minutes in.  As for cravings, if it is sitting right in front of me, I cannot always wave it off.  I just don't let it bother me.  For instance, last week, during Passover, a friend posted a recipe for Matzoh Crack (matzoh drizzled with a melted brown sugar-butter mixture, baked and then spread with chocolate chips - like icing).  I had it in my mind to go home and make it since I had everything the recipe needed in my pantry.  Oops, I guess my spaces aren't that perfect.  But, I do have a living, breathing husband in the house, and I know he needs certain snacks to keep him going.  Hence, the chocolate chips.  I ended up not making it, but the very next night, guess what was sitting right in front of me?  Matzoh Crack.  My lovely cousin had made some to bring to my mother's seder and I could not pass it up.  First, I'd never even had this before and second, I just had to try it.  It was a slight mistake, but I rebounded from it by not eating any other dessert-y things for the rest of the week.  When I say dessert-y, I mean not on the plan.  Don't go thinking I'm going without something sweet.  That's just not natural.

Okay, so where were we?  Why do we do what we do?  I'm not sure we'll ever figure that out, but as long as we recognize that we can come back from anything, we will be fine.  I know I will be fine.  I continue to lose each week, even if it is only a little bit.  So I'm staying the course.  Will you?  Let me know in the comments.  Good luck!!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment