Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekends and staying on track

I have decided that I personally need to eat on the weekends as I do during the week. I did have a setback during the work week last week, however, I overcame that and got back on track rather quickly.

The weekend was a different story. I ended up having to work late Friday night. Was it absolutely necessary? No. The reason I had to stay later was that my boss had been traveling in Latin America and arrived to the U.S. just Friday morning. That being the case, he needed time to get himself together before he came into the office. This, of course, did not bode well for me. I had this feeling Friday that he would show up late, get on the phone to do his job, and wait until the very last minute, as is his custom, to hand me a pile of expenses. This is normally a task I enjoy doing; I actually have to use my brain for it, and make sure that all expenses that are going to be paid do end up being paid, and on time, for that matter. When this particular individual does expenses, he tends to give them to me piecemeal. That could potentially mean hours upon hours of doing this, but you know what an anal person can be like. What am I saying - I'm pretty anal!

In any case, instead of having me handle the calculations, which, I assure you, I am quite good at, he decided to do them himself. Honestly, he had many other things he could be tending to, but he chose this path instead.

Are you thinking that I am totally veering off course from my story? You might, but I am not. I promise!

All of the actions taken by the aforementioned individual caused me to have more stress than I actually have been able to handle lately. I do work well under pressure, but being that this was what I previously titled "MS", it was causing me all sorts of stress. The silly thing is that these expenses are not technically due until later this week! Why did they need to be done Friday? The client needs them for billing purposes. Okay, I get it. You need to bill your client. Could you have come to the office earlier? Could you have let me handle the task in its entirety, so it would get done in a timely manner and you could be doing the tasks you had to do? Sure. I know I am being completely selfish - they pay me to work for them. I understand that dynamic.

My real problem was handling my food issues over the weekend. I know it really had nothing to do with the expenses, or any task I would have been asked to do that took longer than it actually needed. All of this happened to me, when, in my mind, I was ready to tackle eating healthy over the weekend. It generally tends to be the time when I don't pay attention to my points. Friday's events brought me across the street to the cookie store - they had no cookies, and I should have walked out, but I didn't. I chose a blondie instead. Probably had more calories than a normal human being should consume in one sitting, but I did not care. I needed a pick me up to finish my task and I knew my 1-point Vita Top was not going to cut it. Normally, as I've mentioned before, I would spend the weekend beating myself up for it. I didn't. But, I didn't really try to eat well the rest of the weekend. I tried telling myself I was, what with scheduling meals with longer time periods in between. Let me tell you now: Don't do this! Eat three regular, healthy, points-worthy meals. Be satisfied, but don't sacrifice your whole diet to do it.

And keep loving yourself. This is how I am getting through the setbacks, and I hope you do, too!

3 comments:

  1. The thing that works best for me when I'm stressed out, especially where work is involved, is working out. I cannot tell you how many times I felt better after a nice vigorous step work out. Or better yet, kickboxing. You can pretend you're beating the crap out of your boss. There are some great DVDs out there called the Ten Minute Solutions. They have five ten minute work outs. You can do one, two or all five, depending on how you feel.

    Eating three meals a day is good, but give yourself three healthy snacks in there too. Keeps the munchies at bay and you're less likely to gorge when it's time for one of your three big meals. At least, that's what helps me. Good for you for not beating yourself up. That can be very counter prodcutive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Holliday's 2nd paragraph... I would also agree with the 1st paragraph if I actually exercised! My bad... something I need to work on...
    You go, Stace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input guys, it is encouraging! I have begun exercising: first, I started doing the cardio with Gilad's Ab Tone up on FitTV. I also purchased the Bender Ball - what a find! So good for my lower back - after only two workouts, I am already feeling like it is helping - also, the burn from the workouts is there, but that is expected. Tonight, I add hand weights to the Gilad stuff - I will look for those DVD's, too!

    ReplyDelete