Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When boredom makes you want to eat...

Oy... it is really, really slow at work these days. I am sure I am not the only one with this complaint, but when there is nothing to do, I begin to think of things to compensate not doing anything.

So far, I have done one personal favor for the boss (yes, the package he wanted sent was sent), I have looked at Facebook a gazillion times, read my soap opera information, checked all three of my email accounts (don't judge - I know you have them, too!), walked around the office a little bit, peed several times (thanks to the extra water I am drinking).

I knew when I got back into the weight loss thing that it wouldn't be a piece of cake. I don't even really like cake. I know - you are probably thinking: she doesn't like cake? Yeah, it has pretty much always been that way. Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike all sweets. For some unknown reason, as most of my family has no problem eating cake, I just can't get a jones going for it. It doesn't matter what type of cake, I just tend not to eat it.

Now, cupcakes are a different story. Yes, I will eat those little round bundles of joy, but I've got rules. Yup, I can't eat 'em if they don't adhere to my personal cupcake list. Any cupcake I eat, must be constructed as such: White cupcake, has to have chocolate frosting; Chocolate cupcake, has to have vanilla frosting. Prefer white cc/choc frosting, but will eat the reverse version if forced or no other option is presented. Also like my friend's carrot cake cupcakes. Delish. That's all. Any other sweet ingested has to be of the chocolate candy or ice cream nature.

Back a year and a half ago, when I started WW, I was quite nervous about dessert. I'm not sure why, since, as a rule, we don't generally have dessert after meals in our house. I thought, I am going to get through this; I won't have to worry about dessert. Then, the points came into play. Be sure to eat all your points - don't deprive yourself, our leader intoned week after week. So, I began to obey. Was I glad I did - WW has some really delicious desserts! Yum, Giant Chocolate Cookies and Cream Pop! Yum, Mint Flying Saucer! And it doesn't end there! The Skinny Cow is part of my routine now, too! Yum, Chocolate Mint Chip Ice Cream Cone! That one is a particular favorite. Only caveat: it is 3 points. I saved it for days when I had 3 points left. Luckily, there is competition that is equally as good. WW recently introduced their own Chocolate Mint Cone... it is just 2 points, and the cone itself is chocolate! Yum!

So, how am I going to get through this spate of office boredom? Hmmmm, I don't really know. I can write more posts, but let's be realistic, I don't want this to become an obsession. I want it to be a tool to help me in my quest to get back in shape, and I want it to be fun for you to read! Feel free to offer suggestions! I'm open to them.

And now, I gotta get back to work (really!)

5 comments:

  1. I'm partial to the Starbucks Java Fudge bars (best flavor) and the WW Giant Chocolate Fudge bars (best texture -- and ONE point. Count 'em. One.) In fact, I like them so much I got up and brought one back to the computer just now. I had to check the name on the box, so this eating I'm doing right now?

    Research.

    Oh, and your husband is cute, but not cuter. You guys tie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like ties. I like the Giant Chocolate Fudge bars even better! Enjoy the vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, there! Stress makes me eat... like last night when I went to White Castle... sometimes I just can't talk myself out of that mini-binge. my body regrets it later but in the moment... If it weren't easier to procure than healthy food, then of course it wouldn't happen.
    Why can't there be HEALTHY FAST food, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a suggestion for everyone that reads my beautiful cousin's awesome blog. To avoid boredom, if you do not have one already...you must, must, no, make that MUST, invest in the Cuisinart Mini Prep....I purchased one for myself this weekend and I already made myself my own hummus, from scratch. The whole thing took about 5 minutes and the hummus has only 3 pts per serving..and it is delish and it does not have any preservatives or additives. Tonight I am looking forward to using the mini prep to chop up some fresh rosemary and sage and I am going to add that to some fresh turkey meat and make a turkey burger on the grill. My point is that this is a realtively inexpensive kitchen gadget ($40.00 at Bed Bath and Beyond but only $32 with a coupon) that does not take up much room (good for us who may be short on space) and you can use it in tons of ways to add variety to your meals (I am going to use it to chop up some roasted red peppers tonight and add that to some tuna for lunch tomorrow).
    Hope this helps everyone out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. My lilcoop - thanks for your wonderful suggestions - I am going to have to go out and get one of those!

    To Ms. A - there are healthy fast food options - I believe that even White Castle has chicken breast - the other thing I have been doing is making sure that I am stocking the house with healthy snacks - popcorn is a great option and it really satisfies - an apple is fab, too - just had one right now and it will hold me till lunch - I made a very concious decision when I started this before that I was going to eat healthy, and as a result, in the 18 months or so since, I have been to a fast food restaurant only once! Another example: I've been making veggie pizzas with the little Boboli crusts for a while now - it ends up that they are so high in calories and fat, that they defeat the purpose of having veggie pizza altogether. The other day, I had an epiphany - why not make them with wheat pita? So much better for you, not only in terms of calories and fat - one has 110 cals, 3 g of fat, with 7 grams of fiber! That's only 2 points per pita! Couple it with 2 oz of shredded mozzarella(part-skim), tomato sauce and spinach and broccoli and you have yourself a personal pizza with only 4 points! I even eat 1 and 1/2 pizzas on days I have the points to spare! Top it off with a 1 point Ice Cream Bar and you are done for the night! Also, as you know, I have really incorporated exercise into my day now... I'm walking to and from the subway, I walk at lunch on days it is not too hot - I am doing the bender ball and Gilad total body sculpt - I know it is going to take work, but I am committed - I worked so hard to get off all the meds and I don't want to end up back on them. Sometimes, it has to be about more than willpower - I have made it completely about keeping healthy, and the looking better is the benefit! Oh, and even though I hated that woman in WW that time that said Watermelon was her indulgence, I kinda get it now - it definitely is a good thing! Keep rockin on with your bad self - you can do this!

    ReplyDelete